Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Hubby: Birthday Dinner


Yesterday was my husband's birthday so I planned a meal I thought he would enjoy, plus the heirloom tomatoes from my CSA were finally ripe and ready to use.  This was a really easy meal to put together.  I just bought the pre-made pizza dough, you can find plenty of vegan ones in the store and topped with our favorite toppings.  What made this meal ultra awesome was Daiya has a new flavor of cheese...PEPPERJACK!!! You should have seen me when I went to the store planning on getting plan mozzarella and I see the new flavor.  I about died!  My favorite cheese as a vegetarian was pepperjack.  I could literally eat a whole block by myself.  I put it on everything!  Hence I was a very excited vegan...kind of like a kid in a candy store.  =) 

For this pizza I used the store bought dough
Storebought pizza sauce
Pepperjack Daiya cheese (The second half you see in the picture is real cheese for hubby...it being his birthday and all)
1 Heirloom tomato sliced however you like
1/2 onion chopped very small
fresh basil, I used the one from my thai basil plant.  Washed the leaves and put whole leaves on top of the tomatoes.  I was afraid I was over doing the basil but after it cooked I realized I could have added a lot more
I was out of garlic (not sure how that happened) so I was stuck using garlic powder instead of the real thing
Red pepper flakes
After I cooked the pizza I added some italian seasoning because I didn't put enough basil.



That is all...A perfect tomato and basil pizza using fresh produce and seasoning straight from the garden!  I made some garlic bread for a side, since I was out of garlic I spread some butter on toasted bread, sprinkled the top with garlic powder and italian seasoning.  Not as good as it could have been but it worked in a bind.



For dessert I bought some cookies for hubby.  He doesn't really like cake so I stuck a candle in one of the cookies and sang him happy bday!  *insert awww here*  I'm bummed I didn't get a picture.  If you have any doubt that the food was good, here is a photo of Bella and her big fat tummy.  Not only was her stomach twice it's normal size, but she weighed twice what she did that morning!  I'm not sure how she did it but I guess since it was Rich's birthday, he decided to share all of his goodies.  You would have thought it was HER birthday!  So spoiled!


More meals to come, I have more tomatoes to use.  I'm thinking a nice BLT, side of green beans, or corn!  Stay tuned!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment