Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Farm Fresh To You!!!!!!!!!


I've been debating signing up with a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  I kept going back and forth and just wasn't ready to commit.  This afternoon at work I got a surprise delivery from Farm Fresh to You, the farm I was looking into.  My AWESOME mom knew I really wanted to try it and surprised me with my first box!!!  I am sooo excited!  For those of you not familiar with CSA's it's a way to help support your local farms while getting FRESH, local, and organic fruits and veggies.  The farm that we work with is Capay Farms.  They have a few different farms they work with in this area.  Each week/two weeks/month (depending on how often you want a box) they deliver a box of goodies right to your door.  They have different packages with all different sizes and options that fit your family. 



This week I got Grapes, lettuce, basil, corn, red plums, cucumber, green beans and BEAUTIFUL heirloom tomatoes.  All I can say is AMAZING.  Everything looks and smells ..... for lack of a better word...Amazing.  I can't wait to try all kinds of new recipes with all of my goodies.  Each week they have new produce and fruits they deliver.  Their website has a ton of recipes that incorporate that weeks food.  You can also check the website for what your next week's items will be.  If there is something you don't like, you just let them know and they will give you more of something else.  Pretty sweet deal!  I feel healthier already! 


I ate a few of the grapes, and a plum, both delicious.  The plums aren't quite ripe yet, so I'll save the rest for later.  For my first meal I decided to make a new mac-n-cheese dish.  I searched some recipes on  Vegan Pandamonium and found this mac n cheese recipe.  I decided to add broccoli to the mix.  It turned out well, except the sauce was WAYYY too thick.  I'm not sure what I did.  It made for a pretty dry mac n cheese.  I'm not sure if I should have added more butter?  I used all of the boiling water even though she said you probably wouldn't need it all.  I would maybe thin it out with some soy milk, or more water next time.  I'm thinking when I re-heat the left overs I'll add either some butter or milk to help moisten it up.  I cut the broccoli into florets and boiled for a few minutes.  Then added to the pasta and sauce in the casserole dish.  I didn't have breadcrumbs so I toasted a bun and crushed that over the top.

I have a lot more ideas for all of the goodies I received today.  Stay tuned for heirloom tomato BLT's,  tomato and basil pizza, Cucumber tea sandwich's, and other awesome sides like corn, salad and green beans!!! 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment