Friday, April 15, 2011

Venegan Potluck at Work!!

I can't beleive it's been so long since I last posted.  I'm not sure how this happened.  I swear it was just a few days ago that I posted.  Time has gotten away from me!  I haven't had much to blog about.  All veggie burgers and grilled veggies over here.  I have a small review of the chipotle lime chik'n strips from Gardein.  They are really good.  My favorite of the Gardein brand as of yet.  I added them to the top of spaghetti, and another time just dipping in some good sauce. 



Since the apartment has been put back together my coworkers have been wanting to come up and take a look.  My coworker had a great idea to have a potluck and everyone could bring a venegan (vegan in my boss' George speak) dish.  I think I'm rubbing off on my coworkers.  ;).  So today we toured the apartment, and then had a YUMMY lunch!  I'm so proud of all of my vegan proteges'  They all did so good with their vegan dishes!!  I'm collecting a few recipes after this. 




Pre baked

Post baked
 I brought in stuffed tomatoes.  I took the general recipe of the stuffed tomatoes I made for the get together with my friends.  I wanted something more of an appetizer, so I used grape tomatoes.  The beef tomatoes I stuffed with a rice mixture.  Since that would be too big for the grape tomatoes I subbed for breadcrumbs.  I didn't follow a recipe, so the below is pretty close to what I made.  They were really easy to make.  The only time consuming part was scooping out the tomato guts.  Just stick on a movie and have at it.  =)

Ingredients
3 slices of bread of choice, I used sprouted wheat
Pesto:  Use all that the below recipe calls for
1/2 medium onion, sauted in some olive oil until soft and translucent
The guts of all of the tomatoes (put through a food processor to chop up)
1 10oz container of grape tomatoes

Pesto:
15-18 fresh basil leaves
3 T of walnuts (or pine nuts is more common, but I never have them on hand)
3 T of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
about 1 Tablespoons of vegan parmesan, I didn't measure so this is more estimated

Directions:
1.  Chop the onion into small chunks, and saute.  While the onions cook, start with step 2.
2.  With your hands break the bread into big chunks and throw in a food processor.  Process until you have pretty fine breadcrumbs.  Enough so the chunks aren't too big to fit in the small tomatoes.  Throw the breadcrumbs in a medium size mixing bowl.
3.  When the onions are done toss them in the food processor and chop them up.  Then toss them in the mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs.
4.  Put the garlic cloves in the processor and chop up until chopped, add in the walnuts and chop a little more.  Add in the remaining pesto ingredients and process until you have a nice pesto made.  If you want the pesto a little more "wet" add some more olive oil.  Add salt to taste
5.  Add the pesto into the mixing bowl and mix everything well.  Set aside while you chop and scoop out the tomatoes. 
6.  Get a baking pan and spray with olive oil.  Keep it by you so you can set the tomato shells in the pan.  Set them in bottoms up.  Once they are all in the pan spray the bottoms with more olive oil, sprinkle with salt to taste and then turn them over so you can stuff them. 
7.  I cut the tomatoes long ways, then took a metal 1/2 teaspoon to scoop out the inside of the tomatoes.  Keep a separate bowl of the tomato guts.  When done throw them in the processor then add to the stuffing mixture.
8.  When all of the tomatoes are ready, I used the same teaspoon and scooped the filling into each shell.  I used a little more than a 1/2 teaspoon for each tomatoe depending on the size.  I made quite a large mound on each tomato.  I found it easy to use my fingers to help keep the stuffing in the tomatoes and pack it in.  I sprayed the tops of the tomatoes with more olive oil.  Stick them in a heated 350* oven for about 15-20 minutes.

I found some of the tomato fillings kind of plopped out of the tomatoes but they were easy to put back in.  They weren't super sturdy, but they were easy enough to pick up and pop into your mouth.  Plus if any don't stay together more for the cook to enjoy before sharing!  =)   


Cathy brough a broccoli slaw which was super tasty.  It had craisins, walnuts and sliced apples.  Perfect spring/summer meal for a barbeque!


 Amber brought her famous pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and red/yellow bell peppers.  You can't go wrong with Amber's pasta!


Val brought a chinese salad.  She typically makes it with chicken, and browns the ramen noodles in butter.  I let her borrow some of my vegan butter (which I think I've made her a lover) and she left out the chicken and it was really good.  Better than my recipe for a similar salad.  Can't wait to try it on my own.




Aryn brough the fab fruit salad, which she brought plenty of so I got to take some home.  Thank you Aryn for breakfast!  Amy brought one of my all time fav lemonades, Newman Own, along with a tasty baguette. 


Here's my half eaten plate.  I almost forgot to take photos, so this was last minute. 



Kurt picked up a vegan cake at the Co-Op.  He sliced some fresh strawberries on top.  I had some left over cream cheese frosting from the red velvet cake cupcakes I made.  So we topped it with the frosting, and it resulted in a perfect dessert.  It was moist and not too chocolaty.  YUM! 

I had so much fun with all of my coworkers at lunch time.   Even a room full of meat eaters can enjoy a vegan potluck!  Can't wait to do it again!  =) 

Husband and I finally took advantage of our gift certificate to go hot air ballooning.  It was soooo much fun.  I have a ton of pictures that I'll be sharing in my next post!  Till then....

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment