Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Am I being tested?

I'm going to start this blog off right.  I'm healthy, my family is healthy, I have a job and a place to sleep at night, a husband who loves/takes care of me.  I couldn't ask for much more than that.  I feel like I'm being tested.  I have a tendancy to over analyze, over stress, and over ....freak out....about things out of my control.  I'm trying to relax and understand that everything happens for a reason and there is no need to get worked up over it.  I'm sure this will all be over soon.  That's what I'm telling myself at least.  All of this is harder said than done. 

So my oven stopped working yesterday.  Just out of the blue...went to cook myself a tofurkey pizza for lunch and it just won't turn on.  The stove top still works...just not the oven.  I don't know what's wrong with it.  My landlord had me call an appliance fix it guy to come take a look to see if it can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.  We'll see.  I hope it's working by Monday so that I can still make a homemade king cake for Mardi Gras.  All of the million drying machines are still in the apartment.  They were hoping to have them out today but the ceiling isn't quite dry yet....*sigh*.  Maybe tomorrow...who knows. 

Last night I tried another new dish and well...failed.  This time it was completely my error.  I didn't read the instructions right and screwed up.  Two nights of failed meals is tough.  One fail...well you learn and move on.  Twice...it's a little discouraging.  To make matters worst its a recipe I've tried before and failed the first time.  I don't know if you remember but I attempted making Isa from Post Punk Kitchen's chickpea cutlets and accidentally used chickpea flour instead of vital wheat gluten..needless to say they kinda fell apart.  So this time I made SURE I had the right ingredient and was excited to finally make the recipe.  This time I totally missed that your suppose to mash the chickpeas with the oil, then combine the remaining ingredients.  I just mashed the chickpeas by themself and then added everything.  I started kneading everything together and they weren't sticking.  They were just falling apart.  I was able to "make" the cutlets and I was very determined to make it work so I just fryed them up anyways...Crumbles and all...The picture looks nice but they were gummy and chewy on the inside and just kind of fell apart.  They didn't look anything like Isa's picture.  I did end up eating one and kinda felt sick after.  =/ 



On the bright side I made a side of green beans and they turned out yummy.  See recipe here.  Really easy.  I used frozen green beans, cooked them on the stove top with just a tad of water, drained the water after they were soft and added the sauce.   I ate all of the green beans myself and didn't even save any for Rich.  Whoops!  I was hungry, tired and a little grumpy.  Luckily he had already eaten so no biggie.  (So you don't think I'm totally horrible I was going to make more if he wanted some).  =)

Needless to say but I've just not been up to par.  I think my brain is on overload with everything going on at home and being super busy at work.  I need a vacation.  Or just my apartment back would be nice.  I'll keep everyone posted on how everything is going.  I hope my next post is a little more optimistic. 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!  (Yes...roll right back to me please!)

2 comments:

Translation for the french send off? I get upset when my cooking doesnt turn out right. It makes everything worse, you paid for food that is now uneatable! In my ethics class were talking about how worrying about death is silly because yuo can't be affected by it. When you die your dead and therefore can't expierience death. So our perception and anxiety of the things we can't control keeps us humans from obtaining our ultimate "good" which is to Aristotle happiness. Happiness is always the goal, and when you see soemthing in the way of that. Shove it aside and say excuse me (no need to be rude) your in the way of my happiness/ultimate good.
 
Let the good times roll! I completely agree Kayla. It's pretty much the worst! Not just the money but the time, and your still hungry after all that.
I LOVE that Kayla! I read this last night and honestly it is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for knowing what to say. =) You're the best!
 

Post a Comment