Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Pigs" in a Blanket & Twice Baked Potatoes

Yay!! I'm back in the kitchen!!  Of course the second I'm back in the kitchen I'm starting to feel slightly under the weather.  I'm not sick just not feeling 100%.  Hopefully it will pass soon.  Luckily I still have my appetite. 

So Rich has been asking me to make "pigs" in a blanket since halloween when my co-worker made me some veggie mummy dogs.  I kept forgetting and not getting the ingredients at the store (I don't typically like veggie dogs and don't keep them in the fridge).  I finally got everything together to make them and they were quite simple to make.  I'm sure most of you are familiar with the recipe, but for the blogs sake I'll explain anyway. 


I wanted to kick these dogs up notch so I made a slit in the dog and stuffed them with Daiya cheddar.  On a side note I would like to say that I felt like a "real" chef today.  I cut the bag of Daiya cheddar with my knife.  HAHA!  Back to cooking..then I wrapped the croissant dough around the dog as so:


Then baked them for about 10 minutes in the oven.  I hate my oven and they ended up getting a little "too" done, but they were still good.  Honestly these were just okay for me.  Again I'm not the biggest fan of veggie dogs so for someone who likes them this is a great dish.  I don't do very well with fake meat, it has to be cooked with something and in a certain way for me to like it.  I always thought it was because it had a slightly funny taste to it.  Maybe it's because I've been a vegetarian for so long I don't "like" the taste of meat anymore?  Who knows.  Husband loves them.  =)  His friend is coming over tonight too so we'll see if he likes them?



I also made a recipe from my new cookbook "The conscious cook" by Tal Ronnen.  Twice baked potatoes.  They were also just okay.  I felt they needed a little more "cream".  The recipe calls for fingerling potatoes and I used really small regular potatoes that I thought were about the same size.  I'm thinking they probably have more potatoe guts to them and thus were a little dry.  Next time if I use the same potatoes I would double the "cream". 


You can find this recipe on Tal Ronnen's website here.  Glad to be back in the kitchen...more meals to come! 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment