Sunday, December 19, 2010

Potatoes and Green Beans with Mushroom Gravy over Rice


Today was NOT my day for cooking!  I hope I got all of the screw ups out of my system so Christmas day dinner goes well.  =/  Today's post was SUPPOSE to be Mushroom Gravy over Chickpea Cutlets NOT rice, but silly me used chickpea flour instead of vital wheat gluten in the recipe which needless to say ruined it.  How did I make that mistake you ask???  Welll...I bought in bulk the last time I was at Davis Food Co-Op and I only wrote the bin # instead of the name of the item and chickpea flour and vital wheat gluten just happen to look almost exactly alike.  Sooo please learn from my mistakes and write the name of what you are buying on the tag when buying in bulk.  So as much as it makes me sick to throw away good food I guess it is better I did it today and not on Christmas, plus it's bound to happen when you are a beginner cook. 

Dinner still came out great, the mushroom gravy was delish!  It was savory and creamy!  This is definitly my new go to gravy recipe.  The recipe came from The Post Punk Kitchen which is unbeleivable.  I can't wait to pick up her cookbooks!  Go here for the recipe. The green beans and potatos were easy to make.  I didn't have fresh on hand so I used canned which still turned out fine.  I didn't expect them to have as much of a broth as they did but nonetheless they were tasty.  The meal didn't really need a gravy since their was broth left from the potatoes but I'm glad I didn't know that and cooked it anyway.  I found the potatoes and green beans recipe from a blog I found while blog surfing.  You can find it here





I'm still cleaning out the fridge (It's amazing how long one grocery trip can last two people when you really try, and get creative with odds and ends left in the fridge!).  One last grocery trip planned to pick up everything for Christmas Dinner.  As disappointed I was with tonight's meal It hasn't put a damper on my Christmas spirit!!!  I'm usually excited around the holiday's but this year even more than ever!  Rich and I got our first tree and were able to wrap presents and put them UNDER the tree which has made it more real!  Plus my sister from Texas is going to be here on Thursday and I can't WAIT too see her!!!  It will be a real Christmas this year with the whole family here.  Plus this year I'm actually cooking and I can't tell y'all how much joy it is bringing me.  I know that sounds cheesy but it's true!  It has given me a hobby that I can enjoy after work instead of sitting on my butt.  I am creating food that is edible!!!  I know that is a pretty common and easy thing for most but it means a lot to me!  Not only am I creating food but it's food that I can feel good about!  For the most part healthy and cruelty free and It makes me proud to be a vegan.  I know that not everyone shares my views but this lifestyle that I've had for the past few years just feels right.  Everything that I beleive in and stand for says this is what is right for me, and it makes me happy to live that way and share it with others!!  I can't imagine doing it any other way!  At times cooking has been overwhelming and scary but it's all a part of the fun!  I feel that the recipes I want to create are at an abundance and if I wanted to wouldn't have to duplicate a meal in my lifetime!!  This journey has been exciting and it's just the beginning.  Blog surfing and reading other's successes makes me excited to grow as a cook.  I pretty much find recipes and cook them, I can't wait until I understand food enough to create my own recipes!  I have to say thank you to all the readers out there who are following along with me!!  Being able to share my experiences makes it that much more exciting!  Well that is all for today!  I leave you with a cutie picture of BellaBoo! 


Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment