Friday, December 17, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup


This soup is one of my most favorite recipes!  It's nothing special but it's tasty and a great comfort food, especially on rainy nights like tonight.  I've been cooking it since I've become vegetarian and I still love it.  The ingredients I almost always have on hand.  It's my go to meal, plus it's easily adaptable with whatever veggies you have on hand.  I found the recipe online at Food.com but I can't seem to find the link so I'll type it out for you! 

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of olive oil (I usually use a little less than this as I don't think that much is really necessary)
2 Onions (or Leeks) Chopped
3-4 Celery Stalks, sliced
4 Potatoes, Cubed (I keep the skins on)
2 Garlic Cloves (I increase this to about 4 because I LOVE garlic)
1 teaspoon onion powder (I usually don't have this on hand so you can skip it if you don't have it)
4-5 Cups of water
1 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley (or 1 Tablespoon dried)
1 teaspoon dill (optional)
** I add some extra seasoning that I have on hand like crushed red pepper, paprika, or cajun seasonings because I think it's a little bland without
**I also like to add chopped carrots as much as you'd like

Directions:
1.  Saute chopped onions and celery in oil (i include the garlic and carrots on this step) over high heat for 3-5 minutes in a large pot
2. Add potatos, Water, thyme, and basil.  Cook over medium heat until tender (this takes about 30 minutes).
3. Puree in blender or food processer until smooth, and pour back into pot ** I like to my soup a little chunky so I only blend half of the soup and keep the other half whole.  If you are short on time or gadgets you can use a potato masher.  Takes a little more work but a little mashing never hurt anyone.
4.  Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over low heat for an additional 10 minutes. 
5.  I haven't tried this yet but the recipe has a variation to break 1 bunch of kale into small pieces, steam, and add to the soup in the last 10 minutes. 
6.  Serve hot with your favorite hot sauce and sliced bread!!!



The veggies being cooked!


Boiling the potates and seasonings



Ready to eat!



Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment