Monday, December 20, 2010

Fried Green Tomato Po'Boys!

My sister requested that I blog about my christmas menu and when the fans speak I listen!!  I will have some repeats from Thanksgiving and some new dishes.  I can't wait to start cooking! 

Breakfast!
  • French Toast smothered in cinnamon and Maple Syrup
  • Carrot Cake Pancakes
Appetizers!
  • Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Dip; Must Have!
  • Swedish Cardomom (or I should say cinnamon) Braid Bread.
Dinner!
  • Green Beans with Potatoes.  I made this in my last post and Husband finished the WHOLE dish, no not just his serving but the WHOLE dish!, so I figured it was worth making for Christmas.  It wouldn't be Christmas without Green Beans and I wanted to change it up from Thanksgiving.  Plus this way you get your potatoes all in one dish!
  • Swiss Chard Gratin.  This is a new recipe I haven't eaten yet but I found it from another Vegan blog and it looks yummy!!  It's made with vegan cheese, béchamel sauce, and bread crumbs.  Can't go wrong!
  • Spicy Cajun Cornbread Dressing.  Yes I know another repeat, but it's worth bringing back.  Plus the omnivore family loved it so I figured we wouldn't have to double up on dressing this time around
  • Vegan Mac n' Cheese!  I know I know I've tried making Mac n' Cheese before and it .was absolutely horendous!!  When I mean bad...it was BAD!! But I'm very hopeful this time around.  No tofu, and the recipe has gotten raves. So wish me luck!  Plus I'm going to try and kick it up a notch (Yes, I just quoted Emeril Lagasse) and put some breadcrumbs on the top with some chopped veggies!
  • Fried Cauliflower.  This is a little unexpected for Christmas but I really want to try it!  It's dipped in a tempura like batter with a hint of curry! Yay!\
So that is all...I know it's a lot so I might end up trimming it down a bit depending on how the day goes, and how cramped the kitchen gets.  My omnivore family will be cooking additional dishes that aren't vegan so it will be a full kitchen (and house!), but that is the fun of it!  Since this post has been void of any photos I figured I post a recipe that I made before blogging.  The pictures are not the best so bare with me!



Fried Green Tomato Po'Boy as seen in Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson

I couldn't find green tomatoes so I used red ones.  Green tomatoes are obviously more firm since they aren't ripe, which means they fry a lot better then red, which fell apart when I tried to cook them, but nonetheless I've made this recipe twice and Husband loved it! 

3 Small Green Tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4 Strips of vegan bacon (I used Smart Bacon)
Two 6 inch rolls. 
Vegenaise (or your fav mayo)
Romaine lettuce leaves
3/4 cup of bread crumbs (I used panko breadcrumbs, but traditional would due)
1/2 teaspoon of your fav. cajun seasonings (I used Slap ya' Mama, I didn't really measure so use as much as you'd like)
3 Tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper
Tabasco to taste

1.  Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Combine the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a shallow bowl.  Add the tomato slices and toss gently to coat evenly.  Set aside (My tomatoes didn't coat all that well, I'm sure their is a solution to this, but haven't looked into it)
3.  Heat 1 Tabelspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  add the tempeh bacon and cook until browned on both sides.  Drain on paper towels
4.  Add the remaining olive oil to skillet.  Cook the tomato slices until golden brown on both sides.  Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels
5.  Spread the rolls with mayo, add lettuce leaf, 2 strips of bacon, arrange tomatoes on top, sprinkle with tabasco!  Serve with tabasco on the table.  Enjoy!
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!


0 comments:

Post a Comment