Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ginger Scented Pot Stickers and Udon Noodles in Shiitake Ginger Broth

Hello Friends!!

I'm busy cooking the chili to eat for tomorrow so I figured I'd post about a recipe I made a few weeks ago that turned out great!  Blogging while cooking is a new talent I think I need to master.  I forgot about the beans cooking on the stove and the water completely OVERFLOWED all over the stove and floor.  Nice!!! Now that it's all cleaned up and beans turned to low I can finish my blog! 

I found these recipes from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson a cookbook my sister picked up for me awhile ago when I first turned Vegan.  I never really looked at it until now and am in love with it!!  There are a TON of recipes I want to try from it.  I was very excited about the pot stickers.  I LOVE pot stickers  but there aren't many vegan options out there especially when you go to restaurants.  These pot stickers were delicious!!  I'm not a huge tofu fan, I do eat it and if you cook it right it can be great but I'm picky so if you aren't a tofu fan you should still try this because it is great!  The noodles were the perfect pair to the pot stickers and really quick and easy to make.  It just requres a few ingredients and the directions were low impact so I could focus my attention on the pot stickers. 


Ginger Scented Pot Stickers

Ingredients:
1 Cup of  Napa Cabbage
1 Cup of drained and Crumbled Extra Firm Tofu
1/4 Cup finely shredded carrots
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 Tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 Teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 Teaspoon cornstarch
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
24 dumpling or wonton wrappers, thawed if frozen
2 Tablespoon peanut oil
1 Tablespoon tamari or other soy sauce
1 Cup of water

Directions:
1.  In a food processor, combine the cabbage, tofu, carrots, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, cornstarch , and salt and pepper to taste.  Process until well combined.
**On a side note, if your not familiar with tofu you will need to drain the water from the tofu and press it with a towel to remove excess moisture. 
2.  Place 1 wonton wrapper on a work surface and spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling mixture on the lower third of the wrapper (I placed the filling more in the middle of the wrapper).  Fold the wrapper over the filling to form a triangle (if using square wrappers) or a semi circle (if using round wrapers).  Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water to seal.  Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fililng.
**I find it easy to wet my fingers with the water and run it on the entire perimeter of the wrapper then fold and moisten fingers some more to seal the edges.  This worked better then just wetting after the edges were together
3.  Heat 1 Tablespoon of the peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Place half the dumplings in the pan and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.  Do not crowd.
4.  Stir in half the tamari and then half the water.  Cover and reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes.  Uncover and cook until the water evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes (This step took a little longer for the water to evaporate.  I also flipped the pot stickers after they were mostly cooked on one side.)
5.  repeat with the reaminig dumplings, tamari and water.  Keep the first batch covered with a lid or aluminum foil so they stay warm and serve hot. 

The recipe says it makes 24 but I only got about 20 out of it.  Husband gobbled them up.  I even thought they were worth bringing to my parents house the next day and they all loved them.  I guess I should have mentioned from the beginning that I've only ever cooked for meat eaters.  Although I'm a vegan I don't have any family or friends who share my diet (although I've met a few Facebook friends who are!!).  So most of the recipes I make I try to make edible for those around me, and to show you can eat good food without including animal products.  Here are some photos that show a few of the steps to make the Pot Stickers.

Filling:

Wrapping:

All wrapped up, aren't they cute! 


Cooking:


Udon Noodle in Shiitake - Ginger Broth

Ingredients:
8 ounces of Udon Noodles
1 Teaspoon toasted sesame oil
6 Cups basic vegetable stock
4 Ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemps removed and caps thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
4 Scallions, minced
2 Tablespoons tamari or other soy sauce
1 Tablespoon mellow white miso paste
1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves for garnish

Directions:
1.  Cook the Udon in a pot of boiling water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.  Drain and transfer to a large bowl.  Add the sesame oil and toss to coat.  Set aside
2.  Place the stock, shiitakes, ginger, scallions, and tamari in a large pot over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the shiitakes soften about 5 minutes.
3.  In a small bowl blend the miso with 1/4 cup of the hot broth (from the pot).  Stir into the soup and add the noodles.  Serve immediately, garnished with the parsley
Notes:  Once the miso has been added to the broth, be sure the broth does not return to a boil, as boiling will destroy the beneficial enzymes in the miso. 



I hope you enjoyed reading!! =)

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

0 comments:

Post a Comment