Friday, June 17, 2011

BEANS N THINGS


I'm just full of quick and easy meals.  I like this one because not only is it easy, but it's great for protein with all of the beans.  I got the basic recipe from VegWeb, submitted by fypgitjies.  I adapted the recipe to come up with this:

1 can of beans, I used white but you can sub for black,kidney, black eyed peas, whatever.
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles.  I didn't use a whole can but rather the left over from the other night, but a full can would be ideal
A few cloves of garlic minced
1 shallot chopped
oil for sauteing
A tablespoon or so of cajun seasoning (I used zatarain's red bean seasoning which comes in a box)
Prepared rice (I usually use brown, but I had some left over arborio rice so I used that and cooked it in the rice cooker)

1. Heat oil, add garlic and shallot and saute until cooked down and fragrant
2.  Add the can of beans, tomatoes, and seasoning
3.  Let simmer until the beans are cooked and to your desired texture. 
4.  Serve over a bed of rice
5.  Add salt/pepper and/or hot sauce if desired

So last night I had a craving for dessert.  Husband prefers cookies over cupcakes so I thought I'd make a treat for him to come home too...too bad I totally botched the recipe. I followed the recipe to a T, except for subbing maple sytrup for vanilla because I was out, but they turned into this:

LOL!!! More of a cookie cake.  There was WAY too much oil, and I shouldn't have used olive oil because it was way to strong tasting.  They tasted okay but not what I was going for.  I ended up cutting them with a pizza cutter.  =)  At least they didn't burn, which I was afraid of.  I guess it's all just a learning experience.  If I don't post before then, Happy Fathers Day to all the dad's out there.  I truly (not just saying it because I have to) have the best day in the whole world.  He has/does so much for me and my sisters, is supportive, gives the best advice, and loves everyone unconditionally.  I'm the luckiest girl!  I love you PAPA ♥ from your #1 daughter ;)!



That's me in the hat, and my dad to my left with my sisters and mom

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

2 comments:

Yum! I am so making the bean dish, i love rice and bean I could eat it all the time!
 
what kind of cookies are those?? but yummy beans and rice!!
 

Post a Comment