Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Baked Asparagus and Pan Fried Cabbage


If you know me at all you know I love cabbage.  I had a head in my fridge and kept putting off cooking it because I wanted to do something different with it, but just didn't find anything that strung any cords.  I love pan fried cabbage and it's super easy so I stuck with what I knew before the cabbage went bad.  I've posted about it before and did the same as I always do.  Heated a tablespoon of olive oil with a few tablespoons of butter.  Added a chopped shallot and a garlic clove and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.  Once that cooked down added 1 head of chopped cabbage and let that cook until the cabbage was soft.  This time it needed a little salt and pepper.  I cooked some mini bowtie pasta on the side in my pasta boat and added to the cooked cabbage.  Mix well to coat the pasta. 



The cabbage is good by itself, but my parents got me some fresh asparagus at the farmers market yesterday and I figured it would be best to cook it while fresh.  I chopped it into quarters (cutting the tough end off) put it in an oiled pan.  Sprayed some more olive oil on top with my misto.  I minced two garlic cloves and spread that around with the oil/asparagus.  tossed around to coat.  Topped with some garlic powder, salt/pepper, and some red pepper flakes and rosemary.  Baked at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.  Top the cabbage with the asparagus.  Make sure to get some of the roasted garlic in your bowl.  It will MAKE the dish!  Yummm...



You can't get any better than fresh veggies!  This meal is easily adapated to what you have in the cabinet.  Use your favorite spices.  Maybe even add some fresh squeezed lemon juice to make it a little more "spring".  Or you could cook the asparagus and cabbage in just a little oil until soft and add in the cooked pasta.  Do you remember the garlic lemon pasta I posted about..that I was a little obsessed about for a few days?  Then coat with the lemon dressing from that recipe.  Too bad I didn't think of that until just now!  I will have to pick up some more asparagus and cabbage and try it out.  Let me know if you try it out before me. 

I'm a little sad that there is rain in the forecast this week, along with below 60 degree weather.  =/  Hopefully the sun doesn't stay away for long.  I'm enjoying this weather far too much for it to disappear.  How is it that the sun can uplift someone's mood so much??  The ultimate drug I tell you!  Maybe I will get some soup recipes out of my system before summer comes for good.  We'll see what my kitchen brings me.  =)

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment