Monday, March 28, 2011

Vegan Corn Dogs and Cajun Collard Greens


TICKETS ARE BOOKED FOR NOLA!!!!!!!!  I'm sooo excited.  It's been 2 years since I've been back and it's been waayyy too long.  We're stopping in Austin, Texas to see my sister for a few days, then driving to Houston to see my Aunt, then flying to New Orleans.   Two whole weeks of vacation!!  I'm going to be counting down the days.  =) 





I thought this picture was too pretty not to post.  Chopping the Collard Greens.  Cut off the stem, roll and chop!

In honor of our upcoming Nola trip I made a half cajun meal of collard greens.  My husband actually likes dark leafy greens and asked me to make them.  It was hard finding a recipe that didn't include a ham hock, but I found one at about.com.  It was good, and had a nice spicy kick to it.  Even Bella liked them..lol.  The only adjustment I made was using only about 1 1/2 tomatoes, I felt 4 would be a little much. 



I also bought some tofurkey dogs awhile ago and needed to eat them.  I've been wanting to make corn dogs but am a little too scared to try deep frying foods in my kitchen.  After the water loss, I'm not trying to burn down the place.  I found a recipe for baked vegan corn dogs on Happy Herbivore.  Honestly everytime I make something with veggie dogs I'm disappointed.  I always except them to taste different.  Something about them just tastes off.  It's not that they were bad, they tasted fine, just not my favorite meal.  Husband liked them.  He said he likes the smart dogs better though.  If you like veggie dogs you'd probably love these.  They aren't very pretty.  Since your baking them the batter kinda of slips down the dog, so it doesn't make a perfect shape.  I've heard you can get a "twinkie" pan to make perfect corn dogs.  My oven also hates me and likes to burn the bottom of everything I make, so...yeah.  =/  Here are some pics of the cooking process:


Cut doggies.  <--  That just sounds wrong...


The batter.  I choose the wrong bowl to mix this with, it was almost the exact same color.

Less pretty than the baked dogs.  It was kinda of hard to coat them without having spots uncovered.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler! 

1 comments:

The corn dogs look yummy. I was just thinking about making corn dogs. I was looking at Morningstar Farm corn dogs over the weekend and noticed they have eggs in them. :( I can't wait to make some.
 

Post a Comment