Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Orleans Muffaletta .... Veggie Style


I didn't even realize that yesterday was my 50th post!!   WhooHoo for milestones at Amateur Vegan Chef!  Cheers to 50 more!  I am happily snuggled on my couch with a blanket and my Bella.  As most of you know I don't have to commute to work since I live above my office.  Today I had to drive out to Sacramento for a continuing education class, of course it just happened to be the stormiest day this week.  At least I'm home now and tomorrow is Friday!!! 



Since Mardi Gras I've been craving muffaletta's.  Muffaletta's are a typical New Orleans sandwhich.  The distinguishing feature is an olive salad that dresses the sandwhich.  Typically it is layered with different Itilian meats and cheeses all on a nice round crusty bread.  I wanted to make a veggie version and found this recipe at No Meat Athlete.  In New Orleans you can buy the olive spread in the grocery stores.  We normally bring some home with us when we go but I didn't have any handy so I made my own.  It was just as good as the store bought.  I followed the recipe from No Meat Athlete.  I would watch the salt if you decide to add any.  The olives are already pretty salty on their own.  I followed the rest of the recipe exactly except leaving out the mozzarella and it turned out great.  I'm sure you could sub for some vegan mozzarella but I didn't have any on hand.  Rich even loved them.  The picture above on the left is a picture of the olive salad on the bottom of the sandwhich on the right is with all of the toppings.  I put the olive salad on the bread while the peppers and artichokes marinated in the vinegar so the juices would soak into the bread. 




I made potato salad on the side.  Chopped some potatoes added them to a pot of water and boiled them until fork tender.  Add some chopped red and white onions, a few scoops of vegenaise, mustard, relish, horseradish, salt and pepper.  Mashed together...voila!  It was a great dinner and hit the spot.  The olive salad is great on other stuff too.  On any sandwhich or mixed with the potato salad.  Definitely on the keep list! 

Saturday I'm having dinner with some friends!  Can't wait!  Till then....

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment