Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Italian "Wedding" Soup

So it's rainy and gloomy again.  It's looking more like winter then spring.  Oh how the earth loves to tease me.  Although I don't know much about agriculture but I'm sure the farmers are enjoying the rain.  I've been reading a book recommended by a friend "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and it makes me feel a little guilty for wishing for the sun, because I know the earth needs the rain.  So as much as I LOVE the warm weather I will resist praying to the sun god to make the rain go away.  The book is a great read so far.  It's a true story of a family who "lives off the earth" for a year.  They decide to only eat/buy food that they grow themself, or comes locally to avoid food that travels across the world.  It's very eye opening.  It makes me think a lot more about not just the food I'm eating but WHEN I'm eating it and WHERE it's coming from.  Like I've said so many times I try my best to make the best choices when cooking but when I read something like this I know I still have so much to learn.  =) 

Yesterday I was inspired by Amy''s canned soup, Hearty Italian Soup.  The rain and cold makes me want to eat soup night and day.  So I decided to try my hand at an Italian Wedding Soup.  Typically made with meatballs, I veganized it.  I didn't follow a recipe for this, just through together what I thought would go well together.  I don't often "throw" something together.  I'm not the best at creating new meals.  I usually have to follow a recipe, so I'm VERY proud of this since I came up with it all by myself.  There are a few adjustments that I would make next time to perfect it, but this was really good and totally hit the spot.  Some of the measurements are estimated because I didn't really measure everything. 


Before I post the recipe, please enjoy my new garage sale find!!!  Don't you love my new vintage corningware!!  I got three all the same style but different sizes.  Love them!!!

Italian Wedding Soup

1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice *Optional
1 smal onion
4 garlic cloves (Next time I would use more, because I love garlic)
1/2 small shallot *optional, I threw this in there because it needed to be used before going bad
Tablespoon or so of olive oil
1 Can of chopped tomatoes
Tablespoon or two of chopped fresh basil
1 Tablespoon of Oregano
1 Can of white beans
4 Cups of veggie broth *I used no chicken broth for the first time but veggie broth would work fine
Vegan Meatballs
            1/2 "tube/roll" of Gimme Lean "beef"
            1/4 Cup or so (didn't measure) panko bread crumbs
            2-3 leaves of basil chopped
            A few dashs of onion/garlic powder
            Few dashs of oregano
            Red pepper flakes
Spinach (I had some left over stuffing from the raviolis so I just used that and added it at the end since it was already cooked) I'm not sure how much I used...
Salt and pepper

1.  Start the brown rice if using
2.  Chop the onions, garlic, shallot and basil
3.  Heat the olive oil, add the onions, garlic and shallot until soft
4.  Add the can of tomatoes, basil, oregano and a little salt and pepper.  Heat to saute for about 5 minutes or so. 
5.  Add the can of beans, stir, then add the broth.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or so.  In the meantime put together the meatballs.  Mix all the ingredients together (it will be really sticky) and mold into small meatballs
6.  Add the meatballs and cook until heated through
7.  Add the cooked spinach until warm
8.  Season further with salt and pepper if needed. 


Didn't realize this was so blurry..sorry!

Meatballs

Before bringing to boil

All finished.  Aint it pretty!

I felt it needed more spice so I put a ton of crystal louisiana hot sauce which gave it the kick it needed.  Next time I would maybe add a few peppers or red pepper flakes?  I loved the meatballs I made the last time with spaghetti but this time they weren't my fav.  I might would leave them out next time.  When I ate Amy's soup she had garbanzo beans which reminded me of meatballs, not that they taste like them, but it might be good in this soup.  Anyhoo...I loved the soup and I think y'all will too.  I had with some left over foccacia with carmelized onions.  I then had some sorbet for dessert.  Is it wierd that I enjoy eating it in a martini glass now.  It's just so much more classy really....hmm...maybe I'll have a cinna bun to top it off??  Don't judge me...I don't like wasting food!!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler! 

1 comments:

no judging ;)... btw Trader Joe's meatballs are Ahhhh-mazing! I will definitely try my hand at making my own now but I just hadn't thought of it because I depend on TJ's so much. Maybe the taste would be more complementary to soup? I could see how gimme lean's distinct taste could throw it off a bit...
 

Post a Comment