Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cure a Cold with Cabbage Soup




I know I just made soup but you can never have too much soup.  Plus it's cold and raining out.  I was feeling slightly under the weather and I can honestly say I felt better after eating this.  Okay so maybe it won't "cure" your cold but it definitely won't do you any harm. 

I went to the farmers market today and picked up a cabbage and it was just begging to be added to a soup.  It was really my pleasure to ablige.  I found the recipe by doing a quick google search.  I wanted something easy since I wasn't feeling all that great.  I made a few adjustments.



Added chopped baby carrots
Red pepper flakes
A few dashs of crystal hot sauce
italian seasoning
I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of italian roasted

I added the carrtos in with the onion/garlic.  When I added the broth I brought to a boil but didn't add the cabbage until the carrots were soft.  Added the cabbage and let cook for only about 2-3 minutes.  Added the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, and italian seasoning.  Let it cook for another 10-15 minutes. 

Perfect end to my saturday.  My wonderful parents came over and helped me unpack the last few boxes from when we moved last June.  We did some decorating and I feel like the apartment is finally becoming more like home.  I still have a few projects to do and things to get to make the finishing touches but that is really never ending job. 

I also picked up some yams at the farmers market.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I can't wait to cook them.  Stay Tuned.  I hope everyone enjoys there three day weekend!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

2 comments:

Whoa Whoa Whoa! Your forgot to mention you amazing market friend. jk I'll make my fame another way. This looks yummy, I think i'll try it, although I'll have to shrink the recipie as, patrick does not eat Any leafy greens.
 
I can't believe I forgot the BEST part of the market!! That cute wine girl! ;)
The soup was pretty simple and tasty. It definitely made a lot, I had left overs for a few days.
 

Post a Comment