Thursday, January 27, 2011

Two Dinners -- One Post Sesame Green Beans/stir fry & Miso-Ginger Rice

Sorry, didnt' realize it was so blurry, took in a hurry

Hello fellow bloggers (or non-bloggers, we don't discriminate here)!!  Since my last post I've been eating a lot of chili!!  It's finally all eaten and I have to say I enjoyed it each and every time I had it.  It was spicy and filling.  I ate it with and without rice, with cornbread a few times and with some "butter" crackers and liked it all.  I think it would be good too if you were sick.  Its spicy so it will clear your sinuses, and it has a ton of good veggies, maybe just add more broth.  =) 
 Since we've been cleaning out the fridge (again) I've put together two dinners that were based on things I already had in the pantry.  First I made Miso-Ginger rice and Sesame green beans.  The rice I found the recipe here from Whole Foods Website.  I made a few adjustments to the recipe:

I used brown rice instead of wild, because that's what I had on hand
Apple cider vinegar (again because that's what I had on hand) with a little sugar added
I was out of garlic (I know you are thinking, how can you live without garlic???  I'm not sure how but I can say I lived to survive) but had some dehydrated? garlic in my pantry.  I tossed it in place of the fresh, but after it sat and melded flavors with the rest of the dressing I spooned them out. 
I didn't have barley miso, so I used what I had, white.
I also didn't have any cabbage so I just left it out

It was good, but I totally screwed up the rice.  It was my first time making brown rice on the stove and it didn't pan out very well....not sure why I have trouble cooking rice over the stove!!  One day I'll figure it out.  It was just really soggy.  I did end up eating it, but it could have been better.  I didn't keep the left overs because it wouldn't have lasted. 


Far left, dressing for rice, middle sauce for green beans, right chopped veggies

I topped the rice with some sesame green beans, recipe here.  These were delish!!! Loved them and so did Husband.  They are very spicy so beware.  The only changes I made was agave nectar for honey, I didn't have any red bell peppers on hand so I just left that out, and I didn't use the sesame oil.  I also didn't have fresh green beans so I used one can.


Finished Green Onions.  Added some left over chopped green onions from the rice
The next night I had to make dinner on a whim because all of the recipes I planned for this week I was missing ingredients.  If someone didn't steal my visa check card number and spend all my money this wouldn't have been a problem...but that's how the cookie crumbles so I did with what I had.  Plus I ended up with another yummy meal.  

Since Husband and I both loved the sauce I made for the green beans I went with that same recipe and changed it up.  I was out of green beans, but the other day I bought a bag of froxen asian medley vegetables from Sam's Club.  It comes with all my fav. veggies.  Broccoli, snap peas, chestnuts, carrots, red peppers, mushrooms and baby corn.  It comes with a package of sauce, but I just didn't use it for this meal.  I made the same sauce as I did the day before (except I was out of agave nectar, I used just a tiny bit of maple syrup in it's place.  Just enough to sweeten it a bit but without "tasting" like maple syrup.  It still tasted good, but prefer it with the agave.  I doubled the recipe since I had more veggies this go round. 

I cooked the veggies over the stove until warm, then mixed the sauce until slightly thickened like the recipe states.  Before all of this I cooked some vermicelli noodles, and when everything was done topped the veggies on the noodles for a perfect stir fry. 


Veggies with sauce

Yummm
Again be forewarned that this was spicy.  I even preempted with some tums.  The second go round (probably from the lack of agave) it had a familiar spicy taste that I couldn't put my finger on.  Later I realized it had a very similar taste to wasabi.  I'm not the biggest fan of wasabi, but I have had it before and it's very unique.  I'm not sure what would have made this taste like that?  Maybe the dry mustard mixed with the red pepper flakes?  Regardless this was yummy and we'll probably have it again.  It was quick and easy too. 

I got paid so now that I have money back in my account I'll be going grocery shopping soon, with more meals on the way.  I have a ton of recipes planned and excited to share with you!  As always Stay Tuned and

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

2 comments:

Bleh! Veggies are yucky. Please please please if you made a broccolini recipe that was amazing and I ate it, we'd all dub you the best vegan chef. Because no one can get me to eat broccoli.
 
Kayla you must check out my recent post on broccoli, cheese and rice casserole. If this recipe didn't make you a broccoli lover then NOTHING will! Of course this comes from someone who loves the veggie! =) Oh, BTW I have decided that on our next get together we are taking a field trip to the co-op. They the most awesome array of veggies. It reminds me of the food bank!!! Did you see the rainbow chard! They had colored CARROTS!!!
 

Post a Comment