Friday, January 21, 2011

Spicy Vegen Chili


Soo glad it's Friday, even though it was a short week it felt like a LONG week!  The even better part is Husband has the whole weekend off, which never happens!!!  Hopefully the sun stays out!  As I'm sure you all remember the last time I made "chili" it wasn't my fav.  I thought I'd try my hand at a more traditional chili.  I found the recipe here from Whole Food's website.  They have some other recipes on there I want to try too.  It was super easy to make, just a little bit of waiting time while it cooks.  I made the following adjustments to the recipe:

1 Can of Kidney beans
1 Can of black beans
I didn't have Cumin so I used Coriander instead
I also didn't have chili powder on hand so I used slap ya mama
The recipe calls for 4 cups of water but reading the comments I cut down to 2 which I think was perfect so it wasn't so soupy. 
I also added a can of corn

It was really tasty!!  and really spicy.  I used probably a little more than 3 tablespoons of chipotles in adobo sauce.  I also took some of the sauce from the can and added it to the chili.  If you don't want it so spicy definitely cut down on the chipotles.  I loved the flavor it gave the chili though.  I cooked just a little bit of brown rice and added it to my bowl to give it some body.  I also had some cornbread in the freezer, so I defrosted that for the side.  YUMMO!!  Also I chopped my veggies kind of big, if you don't want it so "chunky" you can chop them smaller.


For dinner yesterday I was looking for something quick.  I bought some samosas's in the freezer section at Davis Food Co-Op.


I've never had samosas before so I wasn't sure what to expect but they were tasty!  I read up on the dipping sauce that typically goes with these but I didn't have any of the ingredients on hand, so I just went with what I had, a sweet chili sauce.  Pretty good for being in the freezer section. 



Till next time!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment