Monday, December 13, 2010

"Fried" Rice


My fridge needs to be cleared out before I start on new recipes and I was planning on eating left over chili but my stomach had other plans.  I decided to stick the chili in the freezer for another night.  I had some veggies and a few days old cooked brown rice that needed to be used before going bad, along with the left over pineapple "dressing" that I had from the pineapple rice I made a few posts ago. See here for my original blog post and here for the original recipe (where you can also find the recipe to make the dressing).  As you know the pineapple rice wasn't a big hit but the dressing was good.  So with some modifications I made the Brittany version of fried rice!  It was really tasty and refreshing, and SUPER easy!  Husband didn't like it and ended up cooking himself something non vegan, but his loss, more for ME!  =)  He isn't a big pineapple or rice fan so it was a long shot to try and please his taste buds.  I didn't measure out anything so if you would like to duplicate just use your judgement on what you like (measurements below are estimates).  Plus this recipe is easily adaptable to what you have in the fridge.  I was bummed I didn't have any water chestnuts on hand because I LOVE water chestnuts and it would have been a nice addition.  Or adding some tofu scramble to act as egg to mimick traditional fried rice.  Maybe next time!  =) *Edit* I also was thinking this would be great with quinoa too!! 

Ingredients:
10 baby carrots sliced thin
1 small yellow onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
less than 1/4 of a left over cucumber sliced very small
*edit* 1/2 can of green peas (I forgot this in my original post!)
about 1 cup of a few days old cooked brown rice
1/2 cup (this might be off, I honestly am not sure how much was left over) of pineapple dressing (see above link to the original recipe)

Directions:

1.  Prep by slicing all of your veggies before hand.
2.  I'm trying to cut down on my oil use (which has been high since I started "cooking") so I used my handy misto and just lightly sprayed my pan with olive oil.  I added the garlic, onion and carrot to the pan and cooked until tender   


3.  Add the celery and cucumber and cooked a little longer. 

I LOVE the way veggies look while cooking, such pretty colors! 


4.  Once you have the veggies cooked to your liking add the brown rice and pineapple dressing.  Cook until warm.  Voila!  You can serve this hot or cold! *Edit*  Last night for dinner I ate it hot which was good, but for lunch today I ate it cold and it was just as tasty! 

On a side note I've been blog searching and stumbled upon this Blog that I'm soo excited to draw inspiration from!  She's a vegan cook who tries to cook with little to no fat (Bonus!), whose from the south!!  Talk about rare!  This blog has become her full time job and I think that is just wonderful!  I can't wait to try some of her recipes.  Like her Creole black eyed peas for New Years!!!  Can't wait, but first to clean out the fridge!  Stay tuned, and as always thanks for reading! 

Laissez  Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment