Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cajun Fried Green Tomatoes Po'Boy


I've tried this recipe before but I could never find green tomatoes in my area so I always used regular tomatoes.  It tasted good but it was hard to work with because they were always so juicy and not as tough as the green tomatoes.  My mom found some green tomatoes for me the other day and I'm finally getting around to making this again.  I'm SOOOO glad I did because it's amazing.  More amazing then I even remembered.  The recipe is very similar to the BLT I made the other day but it has a totally different taste.  BLT with a southern flare! 



Ingredients:
1 Green tomato
bread crumbs (I was out so I crushed some multi-grain wheat thin toasted chips I had on hand)
Lettuce Leaf
Cajun seasoning
Hot Sauce (I recommend Louisiana hot sauce for this)
Salt/Pepper to taste
Roll
Soy Mayo
Fake Bacon* optional

Directions:
1.  Heat your skillet with about a tablespoon of olive oil
2.  Meanwhile slice your tomato, you don't want them to thin, but not too thick either
3.  Salt and pepper the tomato slices.  Crush the crackers if you don't have breadcrumbs, and mix in a shallow bowl with the cajun seasoning.  I didn't measure so I just eye balled what I would need for one tomato.
4.  Dip the tomato slices in the mix until covered.  Add to the heated skillet and brown on each side
5.  Toast your roll, spread with mayo, add hot sauce to taste, Put tomato slices in a row, top with a lettuce leaf and you have yourself a magnificent cajun sammy!
* you can heat up some bacon to add, but I didn't have any on hand and it tasted fine without it.

EDIT!!

I made a tasty side for the po'boys!  I took some broccoli (I used frozen but fresh works too) and heated it on the same grill I cooked the tomatoes with.  I didn't add any water or oil to the pan, just cover the broccoli and let it steam for a few minutes until it's heated through.  Once it was heated I uncovered and crushed some more of the same multi-grain wheat thin toasted chips over the broccoli, added the same cajun seasoning from the tomatoes and a little salt/pepper.  Let that heat and the crushed crackers brown a little.  It was perfect! 

Enjoy!  Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment