Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Vegan Vegveeta Cheese Sauce

Believe it or not I haven't been to the grocery store since I've been back. Although my fridge is pretty sparse I have a ton of cuboard food that I'm trying to use up before going back to the store.  Pretty much because I'm lazy.  Although it's kind of nice to have a small selection of food because it gets me more creative.  I have a few recipes to post today from what I've whipped up around the house.  These are more meals that you need on the quick and easy with staples you should have in your cuboard (well at least things I have in my cuboard). 


First up is a recipe I found on a fellow vegan blog for vegveeta cheese sauce.  It sounded good so I figured I'd give it a shot.  My vegveeta didn't turn out as yellow as hers did but that's because I thought I had turmeric and turns out I didn't so it ended up being more greyish orange.  Works for me because it all tastes the same. =)  You can find the recipe here.  I've had that recipe bookmarked for awhile now and finally getting around to it. I'm so glad I did.  It was SUPER yummy.  It was creamy and thick just like vegveeta.  Some adjustments I made to the recipe:

I used probably 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice (not fresh) because I ran out and that was all I had left
Cornstarch instead of arrowroot powder
Left out the turmeric
I used about 1 Tablespoon of vegan parma
I added 1/4-1/2 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (added once the cheese was on the stovetop)
A couple of jalapeno peppers (added on stovetop)

The tomatoes and jalapeno peppers made the cheese.  It was kind of like a queso salsa.   I was going to bake potatoes and top with the cheese but realized my potatoes had gone bad. =/   So instead I baked tator tots and steamed veggies and dipped it in the sauce!  It was perfect and husband loved it.  The next day I made a chikn sandwhich and topped it with the cheesel.  There are so many uses for it.  It would be good on top of a hot dog, or just as a chip dip.  Even to add to a sauce for pasta or casserole!  Great staple to have. 



I've made a few variations on the chikn sandwhich.  The picture above I put together a BBQ sauce (there are a million recipes online if your interested in making it home made) and grilled it with the patty over the stove.  Put mayo on a ciabatta roll with onion, relish and jalapenos.  You really can't go wrong with those toppings.  =)  I've done a few other easy meals, but I've been bad about taking photos.  One night I made dogs in a blanket dipped with ketchup and hot sauce.  For some reason they turned out really good.  Much better than past experiences. I used the croissant rounds and smart dogs.  I made sure to check them every few minutes to make sure they didn't burn and they turned out perfect.  I made a side of blackbeans sauted with onion, garlic and cajun seasonings.  Another night I used the left over black beans for a burrito.

Last night I made a YUMMY spaghetti.  I used jarred sauce again but added a few spoonfuls of vegan cream cheese.  Then I made a garlic butter to top on a ciabatta roll (mince a few cloves of garlic add to the butter with some italian seasoning and mix well, spread over bread of choice..voila!).  It was a yummy meal. 

Next time I hope to have more interesting meals to share...if I ever get to the store that is.  =)

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

0 comments:

Post a Comment