Saturday, February 5, 2011

Veggie Bella


Since I've become a vegetarian turned vegan I have kept feeding my chihuhua Bella her normal dog food.  I didn't really think much of it until recently.  Honestly we haven't bought dog food in awhile because my Husband thought it would be a good idea to buy her a million pound bag from Sam's Club.  Well I guess it was a good thought, but in reality not such a good idea.  Dog food tends to attract rats (if you didn't already know that) and that big OLE bag didn't fit in our locked plastic container.  So you guys do the math.  Plus it would take our little baby Bella about 5 thousand years to finish a bag that big.  I'm not sure the shelf life on dog food but I don't think it would stand the test of time.  Well I take that back with all the crap they put in dog food...it just might.  Of course that is beside the point.  Plus Bella has been gaining a little bit of weight (thanks to my Husband and Uncle for very clearly pointing this out.  I'm sure Bella now has a complex).

So with all of that said, and the dog food finally gone (and partially thrown away...what a waste of bad food) I've finally been putting some thought and research into the food we are giving our dog.  I don't know why these things didn't cross my mind earlier.  I guess everything happens with time.  The more knowledge you have the better decisions you make (or so we hope).  I put a lot of thought and care into the food I eat.  There are a million reasons why I'm a vegan and so why would I forget all of that and not share that with my beloved Bella?

As I'm sure most of you are thinking (and my first thought as well) Can a dog live without meat???  Well Yes....Yes they can!  As long as they are getting all of the nutrients and protein a dog needs (kinda like a human) a vegan diet can be very healthy for a dog.

So I started my journey at Petco in Davis.  I did some research and knew they at least had one brand of dog food that had a vegetarian option.  To my surprise (Not sure why I would be surprised I do live in Davis) there was a whole aisle or two dedicated to all natural dog food!!!  There were sooo many choices!  I should have taken a picture.  Not all were vegetarian per sey but they had a ton of great all natural dog food that anybody would be proud to give there dog.



I settled on the Natural Balance the vegetarian formula.  I was a little nervous that Bella wasn't going to like it.  She is very picky with her food.  But she loves it!!!  I'm very excited to finally say that Bella is finally a veggie puppy!!!  A dog after my own heart ♥!  Now if only I could convert my Husband.  I feel like i've been a tad of a fraud this whole time, but like I said before, it all comes with time.  I'm sure I still have a ways to go until I can really call myself a vegan.  I always tredge lightlty with the word because I never know if what I'm eating/doing/buying is really considered Vegan.  I try my best but what if I'm missing something?  There is a lot still to learn, but I'm enjoying the journey!  Human food will be up tomorrow! 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment