Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Swiss Chard Time!

For lunch I had left over mac n cheese.  I was going to saute some broccoli again but remembered I had the chard in the fridge.  I chopped the stems from the chard and sauted with some olive oil along with roughly cut garlic (about one clove).  I only used a few leaves of chard since I was just making it for me.  After the stems cooked down for a few minutes I added the leaves (that were also roughly chopped).  I let it cook down just a little and added some balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a dash of onion powder.  Let it cook down and added it to the mac n cheese.  It went really good together, plus the colors were FAB!  The red/purple chard died some of the macaroni.  I again added some hot sauce, and a little of parma this time around.  Perfection!!  It was quick and easy lunch. 


Stems cooking


Adding the leaves

Cooked down (I ate a few leaves already thats why it looks a little sparse)

All finished with mac n cheese!  Yum!

For dinner I wanted to finish off the rest of the chard, and enchiladas were back on the menu.  This time instead of jalapenos, some chili's in adobo sauce.  I loved the flavor it gave the chili I made awhile back and thought they would be great in some enchiladas.  I used the basic recipe I used last time see here.  This time I used sprouted wheat tortillas by ezekiel.  I love sprouted wheat bread so I figured these would be good too.  They were a little harder with folding, but worked out fine.  The fold doesn't have to be perfect.  Use the chili's sparingly because they are really spicy (I think I used mine too sparingly...should have known.  It didn't have enough kick for me, next time I would add more).  I used cheddar daiya this time.  Due to some technical malfunctions I stabbed my finger while cutting the chard and I left them in the oven a little too long.  They got a little too done, but were still good.  (don't worry, the thumb made it through, granted after I almost passed out, Husband fixed me up with some antibacterial ointment and band aids). For the side I found this recipe for some mexican chard.  I cut the recipe in half because I don't have that many mouths to feed and it still cooked a ton.  I did use jalapenos in this recipe.  But subbed crushed tomatoes for chopped, because that's what I had in the fridge.  I also cut the stemps off the chard and added them in with the onions to soften.  It was good and Husband liked it.  He loves his greens though.  Dark leafy greens aren't my absolute favorite, but when cooked right I like them.  Plus I know how good they are for me (especially being vegan) so I'm trying to incorporate them more in my meals.  Honestly if you cook them down a little and add them in a casserole, or baked dish you barely notice them (I need to take my own advice and do this more often!!). 


Making enchiladas!!

Swiss chard and potatoes

A little well done

Pretty plate!

Stay tuned, I'm making some cesar salad (with home made dressing), Home made foccacia bread with carmelized onions (some made into croutons), and chickpea cutlets soon!  Doesn't it sound yummy!  It might not be until this weekend because the bread takes a long time to cook. 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment