Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Prosperous New Years and Black Eyed Peas


Sadly my sister flew back to Texas today.  It was a great few weeks having her back in town.  It's just not the same without her here. Luckily since I've been MIA for the past week I have plenty to share with y'all!!! Which reminds me HAPPY NEW YEARS!!  I hope everyone started there new year off right.  I had a little "too" much fun but nonetheless I rang mine in with family and great friends.  You can't start your new years without a little luck, so the family and I made a batch of black eyed peas!  They are said to bring you a prosperous new year, and you can't have too much prosperity.  Being from the south I grew up eating BEP..welll I take that back, when I was younger I didn't like to eat the BEP, but I would eat the "juice" (as we would call it), but now I can't get enough of them.  I've been making these vegan since the beginning and it's a staple in my house.  The recipe is just a basic one from the family.  We don't really measure and most everything is to taste.  You can reduce the water if you don't want as much of a broth, and adjust the spices depending on how spicy you like it.  You can also leave out any veggies you aren't a fan of.  Sometimes I have a hard time finding BEP in the can.  I usually can't find them at Safeway, but other stores should carry them.  Most stores carry them dry but that just takes a lot more time to cook so I prefer canned. 

Ingredients:
Chopped bell pepper (any color)
Chopped celery
Chopped onions
Minced garlic
Canned black eyed peas (One can will feed about 2-4 people, use two cans to serve more)
Seasoning to taste
         Salt
         Pepper
         Cajun seasoning (I use slap ya mama, or other cajun blends)
         Zataraines has a red beans and rice seasoning mix you can buy in a box which works great for BEP
Brown or white rice

Directions:
1.  Start cooking the rice in the rice cooker (enough for the amount of people you are feeding)
2.  All ingredients above are too taste, so use as much or as little as you would like.  Saute the veggies in a sauce pan until soft.  My mom chops her veggies and freezes them, so if you are doing this than you really don't need any oil.  If they are fresh I'd throw a dash of olive oil in the mix. 
3. Add your canned BEP.  Fill the same can with water and add to mix.  If using two cans of BEP add another 1/4-1/2 can of water.  Add seasoning to taste.  If using Zataraines the bag it comes in can make about 4 or so batches of beans (if using two cans per batch, or more if using one can). 
4.  Cover and simmer until the rice is ready and beans are done cooking.
5.  Serve BEP over rice when all done.  Again depending on your preference you can make it as soupy as you'd like. 




We also made a side of cabbage.  A little green is always good with BEP.  Next time I think I'll try to make some collard greens, which I've never done before.  Rich is actually really excited to try them.  =)  The cabbage is super simple, just melt about two tablespoons of butter per half a cabbage in a pan.  Chop up the cabbage.  Throw it in.  Once it starts to cook down add salt and pepper to taste, a sprinkle of sugar, and some cajun seasoning.  Cook until done.  Some like it more raw, others like it well done, so choose your preference.  We just kept the pan on low until the beans and rice were done.  Serve hot!  You can throw it on top of your BEP's or eat it on the side. 

Stay tuned, I'm going to write another post with some vegan enchilada's and our last trip with my sister to Bodega Bay!  Here's to Black Eyed Peas and a Prosperous New Year full of new cooking adventures! 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment