Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Giving Thanks 2010 Part 1

As stated in my last post our fridge is low on food and shopping isn't until Friday so the masterpieces will have to wait until then.  Although I did make some "BOMB" (yes! I just said bomb) nachos yesterday for dinner (Chips + Daiya "cheese"** + sliced jalapenos + refried beans**), and tonight the go to spaghetti from the jar (doctored with onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and italian seasoning).   Since none of that is very interesting I'll take this time to catch everyone up on the meals I made prior to blogging, which the biggest of them all being Thanksgiving!!!  This was very exciting to me since I have never been the one in the kitchen at Thanksgiving, and this year I had a ton of great recipes I wanted to try, many becoming staples in my cookbook and for the holidays! I figured to do the whole Thanksgiving would be one long post (it's already long as is) so I'll split it up, first up appetizer, then bread!

Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Dip:
This dip I discovered last year on the web at Food.com, FKA recipezaar.com (I really like this website because you can search and find an array of recipes from all over).  I was hooked after the first try and have made it multiple times since.  It was first on my list for this year!  This isn't the best picture but trust me it's yummy!



Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
1/2 cup onions finely chopped
3/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced (I get mine from the jar but you can definitely make them yourself)
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can artichokes, drained and chopped (I buy the HUGE jar from Sam's Club so I just measure mine out)
1/2 cup raw cashews (this is what makes it creamy!! YUM)
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Teaspoon braggs liquid aminos (if you don't have this on hand you can substitute soy sauce)
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (I get mine out of the bulk section of the grocery store, they are little yellow flakes)
1 Teaspoon dried italian seasoning
1 Teaspoon salt (to taste)
black pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. On medium high heat, saute onions, garlic and italian seasoning in oil
2. When onions have become transparent add in the artichokes and red peppers and saute for a few more minutes
3. In a blender, combine cashews and hot water and blend until smooth (about 2-3 minutes)
4. Add in lemon juice, liquid aminos, nutritinoal yeast and salt and blend until well combined
5. Add the blended mixture to the skillet and fold to combine
6. Cook until the mixture is heated through and somewhat thickened
7. Transfer to a baking dish and place in a preheated 350* oven for 10-15 minutes or just until lightly browned
8. Serve immediately with your favorite bread or chip!

No knead Swedish Cardomom Braid Bread
I got this out of the Vegetarian Times Magazine that my mom got me a subscription too.  (Piece of advice if your going vegetarian or vegan don't limit your self to recipes that label themself that.  There are so many ways to substitue meat and dairy products and still get a great tasting meal) You will try this once and be hooked!! The whole family loved this and one loaf was eaten before we even started eating!  It was super easy, and my first time making bread from scratch so don't let this scare you!  The bread is just slightly sweet.  Like my sister said it's great with a cup of coffee or tea in the morning.  You can really do a lot with it, eat it plain, with a little butter, cinnamon and sugar, Jam or even make french toast (which I haven't learned how to make Vegan yet but I'm sure there's a way!). 




Ingredients
2 Cups of almond milk (plus a little extra for brushing the tops of the loaves)
2 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
1/3 cup agave nectar (great alternative to sugar, looks like honey but is a thinner consistency)
1/3 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 tablespoon whole cardamom seeds, coarsely ground with a mortar and pestle (I couldn't find these last minute in the store so I subbed 1/2 the amount asked with cinnamon)
5 1/4 cups of unbleached white flour
2 Tablespoon Florida Crystals Demerara sugar for sprinkling (I couldn't find this either so I used sun crystals which is made with stevia, I'm sure you could use regular sugar if you don't have these on hand)

1. Stir together almond milk, flaxseed meal, agave nectar, oil, yeast, salt, and cardamom in large nonreactive bowl with lid.  Add flour, and mix thoroughly with wooden spoon.  Cover with lid or plastic wrap and let stand for 2 1/2 hours at room temp.  Transfer to fridge and let rest over night
2. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.  Remove half of the dough from fridge (reserve remaining dough for second loaf. (will keep in the fridge up to 5 days).  Divide dough into 3 equal pieces, and gently roll each piece into 18 inch long rop on floured work surface.  Place doug ropes side by side spaced about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Pinch ends together on one side and tuck under.  Loosely braid dough ropes then pinch tail ends together.  Cover braided loaf loosely with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375* degrees. Brush top of braided loaf with almond milk and sprinkle generously with sugar.  Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.

** I wanted to elaborate on my intro.  If you haven't tried Daiya cheese you have to, it's a vegan cheese which comes shredded in a bag of mozzerella or american flavors.  I'm VERY picky about my vegan cheese, I haven't found one that I felt was worth eating or that melted.  This one blows everything else out of the water.  It taste so good and can be a substitue for cheese in any recipe that would normally not be vegan.  I have just started using it and I can't wait for all of the possibilities.  Husband has already requested ravioli, which should be a fun challenge. 
**Prior to my cooking days Husband actually taught ME how to make a really good bean dip that I use as a dip for chips, a bean burrito, or to top off nachos (the possibilities are endless).  It's SUPER easy, and fast.  I always keep a can of refried beans (I like Taco Bell brand, always be sure to check the ingredients for Lard which Taco Bell's does not) just in case I need a quick or easy meal.  You take a can of refried beans and put it in a bowl, chop up some onions and jalapenos (I typically use whole jalapenos that are in the can marinated with sliced carrots).  I use about 1/2 a med size onion and about 2-3 whole jalapenos but adjust to your taste.  Then add Red and Green taco sauce, mix together, pop in the microwave until warm and VOILA!

I have a lot to be thankful for this year, my wonderful Husband, the cutest dog in the world, my beautiful family, my job and friends.  The list is endless.  I hope you all enjoyed your holiday this year and remember all the great things to be thankful for.  Once a year isn't enough to be thankful, but it's a start. =)

As usual I hope you enjoyed today's photos and recipes!
Laissez Les Bon Temp Rouler!

4 comments:

So happy you're loving the Daiya! annnnd you just reminded me that I haven't made french toast in SO long! but guess what? I've made it vegan and it is easy! You can make it like this: http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/fronch-toast/

or I first made it by blending a milk sub with silken tofu and then putting it in a baking dish with cinnamon & sugar; you use this as your batter and dip your sliced bread in there! spray a pan with some oil and cook just like french toast. The tofu gives it a more "eggy" crisp :)
 
YAY to french toast!! Like you, it's been sooo long since I've had it. I can see it now, the cherry on top of a perfect sunday morning. =) Thanks for reading by the way!
 
Where has that website been all my life?? Oh the things I learn as I continue my journey!
 
Yea, the PPK is great. Isa's books are the best. Vegan w/ a Vengeance and the cupcake and cookie ones are staples!
 

Post a Comment